Spain international Diego Costa has insisted that he is waiting on a decision over his Chelsea future with manager Antonio Conte not keen on working alongside him next season.
The Brazilian-born footballer netted the crucial goal in La Roja’s 2-1 win over Macedonia in the World Cup qualifier in Skopje, and following the game, the focus was back on his club situation.
Costa’s representative Jorge Mendes had discussed a potential move to AC Milan over the past week, as per Sky Sports, but the move still remains complicated due to Costa’s desire to rejoin Atletico Madrid.
Atleti can not register new players until the turn of the year due to their transfer ban, but they could still buy the player with the option of a short-term loan elsewhere.
“Atletico is among them, it would not mean not playing, they can loan me out to some team in Spain, Brazil or wherever, but I have to play.” Costa told Sky Sports after Sunday’s game.
The 28-year-old was pursued by the Spanish club at the start of the previous campaign, but the Blues had then insisted that the player would not be sold at any price.
He continued to show a rich vein of form under new boss Antonio Conte, and this earned him plaudits as he managed to control his anger on the field.
However, every story does have a negative lining at some stage, and this happened just after the New Year when Conte got into a rift with the marksman where he told him to find a ‘new club’.
Since then, Costa managed to regain some of his old form to guide the Blues to the Premier League title. but he was not as fluent as in the first half of the campaign where he muscled his way through the defence.
A move to the Chinese Super League has been literally ruled out by Costa, and Chelsea will now have to take a decision which would suit both the player and the club.
Image – Getty